Jeff sits down with Superintendents Sam Miller, Joe Clark, and Thomas Brewster to discuss the state of education in todays society, the role of technology and social media in our schools and more.
- What does a good Super look like
- Working within a budget to supply the best technologies
- What are your thoughts on Technology in the school district? Classroom? Student population
- What is the role of Social Media in the school/class etc…
- Do schools need Facebook accounts?
- Do schools need apps?
- Merit Pay
- School Uniforms
- How do we create digital citizens in 2013?
- Should every teacher be on Twitter? Should every admin?
- Are we being helpful to our staffs with todays professional development models?
- Should we rewrite curriculum to fit the technology, or should we find technology to fit the curriculum
Sam Miller is superintendent of the Solon Community School District in Solon, Iowa. Solon is located between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids and has been recognized by The Des Moines Register as Iowa School of the Year in 2007 and 2010.
Sam has established himself as an innovative leader that has focused on developing teachers and administrators to change how students are taught and assessed. Sam serves as a part-time adjunct instructor in educational leadership with Viterbo University. He challenges future administrators to identify their core values and how they will develop a professional learning community. Sam is also a consultant with a national executive search firm, which allows him to speak with national leaders on effective leadership.
Sam is married to Julie, a twenty-year veteran teacher, and they have two high school aged children. Sam enjoys traveling, following the Hawkeyes, golfing and reading in his spare time.
Thomas Brewster serves as Deputy Superintendent for Pulaski County Public Schools. He had previously served the school system as Interim Superintendent of Schools. Brewster is a former member of the Virginia State Board of Education, and currently a member of the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors.
Dr. Joe Clark is the Superintendent of the Nordonia Hills City Schools in Northfield, Ohio. He has been in public education for 20 years as an English Teacher, principal, personnel director, assistant superintendent, and superintendent. He earned his B.A., M.Ed., and Ph.D. degrees from Kent State University. You can follow him on Twitter at @DrJoeClark. You can find the Nordonia Schools at www.nordoniaschools.org. Joe is the youngest of eleven children. He is married to Amie and has two sons, Isaac and Matthew.